If you’ve been thinking of trying Elf On The Shelf for your kids, but you’re hesitant to do it because it just takes so much work, I’ve got the ultimate gift for you: free printable Elf On The Shelf letter board signs! These Elf On The Shelf Ideas are a total game changer. Swap out a new sign for your elf every day this holiday season and you’ll still get to enjoy the magic of the elf without the constant headache of what to do next with it!
You can either print off the free printable elf on the shelf letter board pages I’ve designed for you, or if you have a large letter board you can put some of these fun phrases on the big board and place your elf near it!
Let’s dive into the fun and check out all the best Christmas Letter Board Quotes for Elf On The Shelf!
Elf’s Arrival Letter Board
I’ve included one little sign to celebrate your elf’s return in case you’ve already started an Elf On The Shelf tradition. If you’ve never had one before you can start out with something different like an Elf On The Shelf arrival letter; there are lots of great free printable letters you can use online for a brand new elf – or draft your own!
Funny Elf On The Shelf Letter Board Signs
A great way to kick off your fun elf tradition this year is with these funny Elf On The Shelf printables. They’ll give your Christmas Season a boost of humor and your kids will have so much fun looking to see what your mischievous elf has written on his or her sign each day!
- Santa is my bestie.
- I’m on the nice list…sort of.
- Tis the season to be freezin’.
- Have an ice day!
- I’m only a morning person on December 25th.
- I’m up to snow good…
- It’s cold and I hate it
- Bah, humbug…just kidding, I love Christmas!
- When can I start hibernating?
- One day of coal vs 364 days of fun…
- I hope the reindeer eat the naughty list.
Elf On The Shelf Letter Board Puns
Kids love puns, so why not include some in your Elf On The Shelf letter board ideas? If you’re having guests over, they’re also sure to get a kick out of your cheeky elf and its funny sense of humor.
- My elf puns really sleigh.
- Let me take an elfie.
- I’ve got good elf-control.
- I’m an elf and safety inspector.
- I’ll just make my elf at home.
- Just be your-elf.
- As elf!
- More elf puns Claus I said so.
- I’ve got high elf-esteem.
- I’m ‘elf-taught’ in the art of holiday cheer.
- I could really go for some fettuccini elfredo right now.
- I’m ‘elflessly’ sharing the love and joy of Christmas
- Have your elf a merry little Christmas.
Elf On The Shelf Letter Board Ideas – Jokes
Another great idea for your Elf On The Shelf letter boards is to use short jokes. The best part is your kids can learn these jokes from their elf and use them at school or with family to keep spreading the holiday cheer.
- Why did Santa’s helper see the doctor? Because he had low elf-esteem!
- What do sheep say to each other at Christmas time? Merry Christmas to ewe!
- Why is there a pic of me on top of the tree? Cuz I’m a star…
- What do you call Santa Claus when he takes a break? Santa Pause!
- How does a snowman get around? By riding an icicle!
- What do you call an elf who sings? A wrapper.
- What did one Christmas light say to the other? You light up my life!
- What did one ornament say to the other? I like hanging out with you.
- What do you call a snowman with a six-pack? An abdominal snowman!
- What do you get if you cross a snowman and a vampire? Frostbite!
- What’s the first thing elves learn in school? The elf-abet.
- What did one snowman say to the other? Do you smell carrots?
- Why was the Christmas tree such a bad knitter? It kept dropping its needles!
- What do you call a cat on the beach during Christmas time? Sandy Claws!
- Why did Santa go to music school? Because he wanted to improve his wrap skills!
Cute Elf On The Shelf Signs
You can mix and match the signs as you go, you don’t have to stick with one category at a time. Try using some funny Elf On The Shelf notes and mix in some cute ones as a special treat once and a while!
Some of these cute Elf On The Shelf ideas also involve a few extra props like marshmallows or cotton balls. The good news is, there are so many to choose from, you can skip the ones you don’t like or are too much work.
- I’m crafting a special surprise for Christmas morning. It’s a secret!
- There’s room for everyone on the nice list.
- I saw you being extra nice yesterday! Santa is so proud of you!
- Remember, the best gift you can give is love and laughter.
- Santa loves it when you share, so let’s donate some toys to those in need.
- Santa’s workshop is buzzing with excitement, just like our home!
- How about a game of hide and seek? I’ll hide first!
- I left a surprise for you in the Christmas tree. Can you find it?
- Remember to wear your warmest socks. It’s chilly at the North Pole!
- Let’s build a tiny snowman out of marshmallows!
- I made a mini snowball fight with my elf friends. Can you join the fun?
- I couldn’t resist making snow angels with some flour
- I found your favorite holiday story! Let’s read it together tonight.
Goodbye Elf On The Shelf!
Saying goodbye to your elf doesn’t have to be a big ordeal. Some families use an Elf On The Shelf return letter but this is a much easier way to say bye!
You can either give this Elf On The Shelf goodbye sign to your elf to hold and tell your kids it’s the last day of fun, or leave the little sign next to a small gift with no elf. Let the elf disappear and leave this little letter board behind, it’s a fun way to say ‘see you next year’ without too much drama (or work).
Free Printable Elf On The Shelf Letter Board Signs
You can use these free Elf On The Shelf printable signs by downloading them from the link below and printing them out at home or your local print shop. Once you’ve got them printed, pick your favorites and cut them out. You can use a new one of these printable letter board signs each day as part of your Christmas elf tradition.
I had mine printed at my local print shop on cardstock to make them a bit more sturdy. They print off nice and clear. You can also just use normal print paper if you prefer. All of my printables are free for you to use at home with your family for personal use (not for resale or business purposes).
How To Use Elf On The Shelf Letter Board Signs
Most of the elf signs in this huge printable list require no extra work on the parent’s part. You could really just set your elf up on a shelf in your home, and swap the sign out every day with no extra fuss.
A few of the cards have some suggested props, like the card that reads: ‘build a tiny snowman out of marshmallows with me’. You can use marshmallows and an edible pen to create a fun little scene to surprise your kids with. There are 54 signs to choose from, so if you don’t like the ones that take some extra work, you can skip them and pick another.
If you don’t want to print off the little signs, you can also use a large letter board sign. A chalkboard works great too, whatever you have at home or work that you can use as a message board with your elf.
When Does Elf On The Shelf Start?
December 1st is the normal time that most families start their Elf On The Shelf tradition. Usually, your elf will arrive and start looking for good behavior to report back to Santa each night. It’s up to you how you’d like to use your elf and what kind of narrative it has in your home.
When Does Elf On The Shelf End?
On December 24th, your scout elf will say goodbye and return to the North Pole. If you’re using the Elf On The Shelf in a traditional way, the idea is that this elf is keeping an eye out for good behavior to report back to Santa. There’s no need for the elf to stay past Christmas eve.
Final Thoughts on Elf On The Shelf Letter Board Ideas
I hope these little notes are the perfect way to help you embrace the fun of Elf On The Shelf and have some elf shenanigans without too much hard work. Start a new tradition with your family and use these printable notes to have a little fun. Share this with someone else who loves Elf On The Shelf or save it to your Pinterest for next year! If you love Christmas printables, check out these free printable Christmas candy bar wrappers too!
If you have a large letter board at home, try out some of my favorite Christmas Letter Board Ideas to spruce up your home decor for the holidays. Stick around and check out more from Mama’s Buzz!